World Orthopaedic Concern-UK / British Orthopaedic Trainees Association Trainee Bursaries 2022/23
apply here: https://forms.gle/TaAioya68EuvG65ZA
World Orthopaedic Concern & British Orthopaedic Trainees Association Travelling Bursary application
Information for applicants
World Orthopaedic Concern (WOC) and British Orthopaedic Trainees Association (BOTA) are pleased to support 5 trainees on an annual basis to pursue their interest in global surgery. Each award is for £500 towards the cost of travel, accommodation and living expenses during overseas visits. Owing to the shift in virtual involvement with overseas partnerships, we also welcome applications to support virtual projects.
The Lancet Commission on Global surgery 2030 demonstrated a clear unmet need of surgical care throughout low and middle income countries1. Following on from this, there is a appetite for involvement with overseas work amongst orthopaedic trainees2. WOC and BOTA hope these bursaries will hopefully go some way to overcome the financial barrier trainees face when contemplating a visit or virtual project.
We welcome applications from any trainee F1 – ST8, however we would expect more junior applicants to demonstrate a clear prior commitment to a career in trauma and orthopaedics. Priority will be given to those involved long-term partnerships with clear, sustainable goals. The SAC now provide guidance on granting study leave for such visits which can be found on the WOC-UK website (www.wocuk.org).
Terms and conditions
- Applicants must be a member of WOC-UK or BOTA
- Retrospective funding application will not be considered
- All successful recipients of the award must submit a short 500 word report which will be published online
- Each bursary will be awarded on completion of project and submission of report
- Neither WOC nor BOTA accept responsibility for actions of candidates whilst partaking in activities associated with the award
- Projects must be completed within 18 months of award
- Winners will be announced at the WOC Conference on 28th May 2022 in Birmingham
Deadline Midnight Friday 13th May
Queries: Dan Yeomans (WOC-UK Representative on BOTA Committee)
- Meara J, Hagander L, Leather A Surgery and global health; a Lancet Commission. Lancet. 2014; 383: 12-13
- Berwin JT, Brown M, Bucknall V, Bose D, and On behalf of the BOTA Committee Attitudes towards orthopaedic volunteering in low-resource settings. The Bulletin of the Royal College of Surgeons of England 2020 102:4, 144-149